While the majority of our coaches are trained in an in-class setting, the CAO also supports two distinct distance learning methods to provide coaches who are unable to attend an in-class course due to location, work or coaching schedule
Before registering for a distance learning module please click here to check our course calendar to see if an in-class course is being offered near you.
The Remote Access program is a means of providing an in-class experience to coaches who are unable to travel to an in-class course. Remote access courses are facilitator led and group-based offered through a platform called Contact North.
- You are required to register a minimum of 5 business days before the course date.
- Once registered course materials are shipped to the address provided.
- You will be expected to log on and participate for the full duration of the course at the specific times listed in order to receive full course credit.
- Microphone/speakers or a headset with speakers
- Access to the internet (preferably high speed).
If you live in Northern Ontario and do not have a computer with internet access you can take this training by going to one of the 94 Contact North Access centers.
Please note: Only Psychology of Performance, Leading Drug Free Sport and Managing Conflict Competition Development modules are available in this format.
How To Sign Up
Courses that are offered through remote access are labelled on the Course Calendar.
The home-study program is intended for coaches who are unable to take an in class multi-sport course.
Home-study is a correspondence based learning method and the hours required for completion may be more than what is required of coaches attending an in-class course option.
- Course materials will be mailed to the address provided
- You will receive an e-mail with instructions to download the electronic coach workbook
- An NCCP accredited Learning Facilitator will be assigned as a resource for any questions
- You will complete a series of exercises and tasks in the workbook and submit by email for marking to the assigned Learning Facilitator.
How Long Will It Take?
The length of time to complete a homestudy varies by course and learning style of the individual. The homestudy format relies heavily on self-directed learning. All courses are given a 2 month completion period. Should you require an extension, please email email@example.com with your request.
If you are planning on completing a Competition Development module through the distance learning home-study method, please note: The Competition Development Multisport Modules are targeted towards coaches who are working with athletes at the Provincial and National level. These modules are very lengthy, challenging and time-consuming and are recommended only for coaches who are absolutely unable to attend an in-class course.